Monday, November 16, 2009

Pretties: Audiobook Review



In this second book in Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series, Tally is finally one of the Pretties. She becomes a member of a popular clique called the crims and falls for the leader, Zane. But she's plagued by half-remembered memories and soon the people from her ugly days do more than haunt her: they come back in the flesh.

No offense to the models on the cover, but they're not how I imagine Pretties. The guy has a caveman brow, and his eyes aren't as wide as they're described as being. The girl's okay but not breathtaking. I suppose it's ironic that I'm critisizing their appearance, considering the whole series is about the nature of beauty. But I actually think the girl on Uglies is stunningly beautiful and these two cannot compare. Perhaps that was the intention.

Anyway, I thought that this story was a great follow-up to the previous book. Even after being made a pretty it's clear that an important part of Tally's previous personality still remains. I read in another review the the pretty talk was annoying, which it was, but I got used to it.

I don't have enough comments on the audio part this time to give it a seperate section. I used a playaway format again but was frustrated by the buttons being changed. Still,to be fair, most the stuff I complained about was fixed in this different playaway. It was just annoying to have finally adjusted to the old one just to have to adjust to a new one.

Book Club

Warning, I'm about to reveal the ending of the book.

But first I'd like to say that I initially thought Zane was somehow David. Clearly wrong on that.

I didn't really want Tally to be turned into a Special at the end. Something about the predictability of it bothered me. When I first discovered Shay had become a Special, it was my hope that would be the conflict in the next book and Tally would be left a pretty. But I can't say I didn't see it coming, and I didn't guess that it would be Shay that would change Tally.

Plus I think I can see where Scott Westerfeld is working all this into a theme of evolution and the good and bad of changing as you mature. On one hand Tally is gradually inheriting more power, which is like a metaphor for adulthood. On the other hand, the ability to abuse that power, becomes more and more apparent, like when she encounters the tribe that worships Pretties because they're some anthropologist's experiment. I can see this power and abuse being stepped up when she becomes a Special.

No comments: