Friday, February 26, 2010

Golden Thoughts



I'm going to admit that the only sport I've ever cared about in the Olympics is figure skating. I challenge all the nay-sayers who say it's not a sport to get out there and do a triple lutz and triple toe loop.

But regardless of sport, I have to say I do love the idea behind the Olympics--fight your country's battles in frilly, skin-tight dresses. Okay, so that's figure skating again, but the same idea applies to them all (just with different costumes): make sport, not war.

It made me so happy to see Kim Yu-Na and Joannie Rochette win even though neither are from my country. Mao Asada is a beautiful skater, but she didn't try to hide her disappointment, so it was a little harder to feel as good for her. What kind of person pouts after winning a silver medal? Of course, I considered the posibility that she's going to get a lot of critisism when she gets home. I certainly hope they don't abuse the poor girl, but I know the Asian drive for excellence can be quite hard-edged, so I don't completely judge her reaction. It was just easier to feel happy for the other two because they were clearly happy, even if Rochette's triumph is bittersweet.

But commentary aside, I think the most important message here is Asian chicks rule! Yeah, and French-Canadian ones too. So as a half-Asain girl who speaks French, I'm quite pleased with the results. Clearly, even though the US didn't win, I'm on the right team.

1 comment:

Sarah Renee said...

Asian chicks do rule. toku ni furansugo ga hanaseru onna ga sugoi yo.