Thursday, June 17, 2010

Gone, But Not Forgotten




So I was pretty bummed I was still sick on Wednesday for multiple reasons but one of them was missing my book club, which only meets once a month. Sigh... But at least the book is reasonably good. I kept reading even after I knew I wouldn't make it.

Summary

Betsy Tannenbaum is a criminal lawyer on the rise when her biggest case falls into her lap. She is hired to protect the mysterious Martin Darius, a business mogul. When news of several heinous murders break, it seems time for Betsy to earn her retainer. But as Betsy learns more about Darius, her professional and personal ethics are placed on the line as a killer runs rampant.

Overview

There were too many characters, which was very confusing at the beginning and I only just got the hang of it toward the end and even then I'd still get confused. The central baddie, Martin Darius is a pretty loathsome piece of work. I get where the author is going with the ethical dilemma of whether you protect someone like that, and I don't doubt that there are people like that, unfortunately. But it just made me think all the more how I prefer the complexity of someone who's not so downright evil to what seems like a straw villain.

Book Club

Spoilers!

Still, even though I guessed that Sloane was Reardon, and that Darius was obviously a murderer (if not the only murderer) I was fascinated enough to see how the author would explain what would happen. So, less of a who dunnit and more of a "what do we do now?" story.

No comments: