Saturday, September 01, 2007

Brotherhood 2.0 Review

The following is the newest video in a long series of videos. I used this one because the still frame was pretty good, and it's a pretty funny video without too many in-jokes. If you want to watch this series from the beginning, though, this is their first video. And you can go here
for more of their earlier vids. They start at the bottom and go up.



I've been meaning to do this for a long time but haven't gotten around to it. The trouble is that it's gotten to the point where I'm not really sure what to say. I'm simply baffled that everybody doesn't already watch these guys. The majority of their videos are under four minutes, so it can't be short attention spans.

Anyway, I guess I'll just explain who they are and what they do. John and Hank Green are two brothers who have decided not to textually communicate for the full year of 2007. Instead they will only communicate through video blogs and the telephone. I thought the telephone kind of made the whole thing too easy, but they say they almost never use it. They do a video blog every weekday (they get weekends off), and if they miss a day, or are seen to textually communicate, they must be punished. Punishments are decided by the brother not doing the punishment, but they can vetoed by their wives.

John is an award-winning young adult writer and Hank is a notable ecologist and webpage designer (but not notable enough for Wikipedia.) They are also both absolutely hilarious. My kind of people--which means they're nerds and proud of it. Their videos are what reality TV should be, real people who are fun to listen to.

Because this has been going on since January, and they've developed a decent fanbase, there are some in-jokes you won't get if you don't watch it from the beginning. Nonetheless, I thought a good idea might be to dedicate a video to each person that has commented recently in my blog (meaning on this first page here). I'd like to do everyone who's ever commented, but there's no way I'd remember for certain even though it's not that many. However, if you'd like a video dedicated to you, just comment here, and you'll get one.


Becky and Brian:
Yeah, you guys have to share one but it's a good one and the part about bears sort of reminded me of you both and what Becky mentioned about the exciting sights at your trip to Iowa. And a quick explanation of in-jokes: "Nerdfighters" is the name of their fanbase and, yes, John really did eat (and video blogged for our viewing pleasure) a blenderized Happy Meal as a punishment for textually communicating with Hank. Since he was going to have to be punished anyway, he asked their fans to donate money to his friend's political campaign to decide how bad his punishment would be. He also waxed a leg and licked a cat.



I should also note Becky is my friend of the week!


Heather:
This is John being punished. These are the sorts of punishments Cherianity will be doling out to those who incite our wrath but don't quite merit burning to a crisp. Study it well. (Incidentally, it is also where John eats the blenderized Happy Meal that I mentioned earlier so either close your eyes or don't watch on a full stomach.)




Sarah:
Licking a cat. I thought it was funny...




Tim:
In which you see the awesome Neil Gaiman and Hank sings a song about Helena Montana. Dedicated to you since you once lived in Montana.




Chrissy hasn't commented in my blog recently, but I know she reads it everyday, so she can consider the video at the top dedicated to her since I thought it was funny and she might too. The trouble is I've shown her most the other ones I really like. Or she can have the Neil Gaiman one for a different reason than Tim does. Some of you may be saying, can you dedicate videos you didn't make? I say: absolutely.

No comments: