Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Best of 2007

I thought it would be a nice indulgence to squander my free time on a movie that I had never seen, but sadly I did not end up liking the movie (In Pursuit of Happyness). I did not even hate it enough to take pleasure in tearing it apart in a review. It was simply one of those movies where I get to a certain point and know I'm going to be underwhelmed but I'm the kind of person who has to finish unless I really hate it.

Anyway, that's completely off-topic but it's the reason for this post since I actually do like writing in my blog. I spent the crucial moment of New Years in an airport this year. My New Years are never spectacular but this one takes the cake for depressing. Top that off with the fact that I was returning to grad school from visiting my mom and sister who I'd far rather be with right now.

But this is all about good things that happened in 2007 so here goes...

Best Movie to Come out in Theatres: Stardust. Easiest question ever.











Best Made for TV movie: Northanger Abbey. (J.J. Feild=Squee) Although, I should note here that my 2006 New Year post lists A Good Woman as the best movie of 2006. And it may have been for the theatres (in the US anyway, it came out earlier in a bunch of other countries) but for (British TV) the best movie of 2006 was easily the Hogfather and my sister and I quite enjoyed watching it this Christmas (now that they've finally given Americans a shot at buying it).


Best Book: Well...if I went by books I'd read in 2007 that would be difficult as I have 37 books in my booklog (10 of which are audiobooks and one of which is just me rereading Northanger Abbey.) But if we go by best book published in 2007 then I'd go for Making Money. Yes, I know the last Harry Potter book came out this year and that was pretty awesome, but Making Money is still better written in my opinion. You can read my mini-review on the Ann Arbor library website here: http://www.aadl.org/node/9540

Best Writing: Okay, well, I can't speak for the content, it could be Shakespeare or it could be average fantasy novel. My personal opinion changes depending on my mood. But I can say that the bulk of my final (I really mean it this time) draft (let's face it, it's a draft when you rewrite 90% of it) was written in 2007 which means that I wrote 103,281 words in 2007, and if anyone's curious that is already the length of a healthy novel, and I would have a book by now if I didn't have a disease that prevents me from writing anything remotely short. The total word count is 109,152 words (I didn't write much in 2006 having started in November). But I refuse to make it as long as the last one! I have also changed the title of my story. I like the new title but fear it doesn't fit as well as I would like.

This is more of a major event than a "Best" but I graduated from undergrad in 2007 though it seems like it was so long ago already. I will not post a picture though because I do not look nearly as thrilled as I should have been.

Well, there you have it. I hope you've all had a great 2007!

No comments: