Thursday, January 31, 2008

Scary Trousers Pep Talk





I have written 10,362 words for January! If I put the exclamation mark there, then it helps me look at it more optimistically. And really I think I've come to accept my limitations for the most part. At least it's not (yet) as bad as last semester.

I had a "banging my head against the wall" writing moment. I never like to admit to writer's block but this was either it or just as bad. But my sister talked me through it and managed to convince me that I hadn't just wasted the last twelve years of my life. Yeah. If I don't finish this book or it's no good that will pretty much make all of that wasted time. You might say, of course not, it was valuable practice. Or, everyone's got to start somewhere. But we all know the truth. I need to finish this book (to my satisfaction seeing as simply finishing it before wasn't enough) in order to validate my existence.

But no pressure.

Still I'm lucky to have a loving and supportive sister.

I'm also lucky to exist at the same time as the Rock God of Fantasy, Neil Gaiman. My Mom says he's old enough to be my Dad. I say I don't care. Unfortunately, it does kinda matter that he has a wife and kids... But, oh well. Despite how very good-looking he is I felt funny about putting up a real picture of him. Like, stalker-funny. Which isn't funny at all but exactly the opposite. It's weird because I don't feel the same about pictures of other celebrities. Maybe it's a hot married author thing. Anyway, I have settled for the cartoon of Neil "Scary Trousers" Gaiman. For back-story on that check out the video below:





Some of you may say a video's the same as a photo but for some reason, to my inner stalker sensor, it is not.

Anyway, I also read Neil Gaiman's blog and his January 28th entry had a link to a pep talk he had written to National Novel Writing Month authors (and found currently useful for using on himself.) I highly recommend the blog entry and the pep talk to anyone who ever has or is ever interested in writing a novel (or who maybe just wants to see what happens to authors around the middle of a book and why so many go crazy).


Friends of the Week: Becky an Dejah (a.k.a anonymous SI friend)

No comments: