Thursday, July 31, 2008

July Words

I slacked off this month, so I have a less than impressive 12,641 words for July. However, I am drawing near to the end of the novel which at 186,604 total words is definitely a good thing. The writing at the end is especially difficult, and I'd like to say that's the reason I've written less this month, but in truth I was just too lazy, or perhaps even too legitimately exhausted, a few too many nights to pull off 500 words.

Also this picture is complete whimsy. I only wish I could write my novels by hand, but my hand writing is generally so ugly that it frustrates me to look at it for too long, and I hate retyping things, so I'm pretty much chained to the computer to write. I had one English teacher tell me she envisioned that I wrote in some natural place like under a tree by some body of water I suppose. But at that time I used to write in my cave-like unfinished basement on an old Packard Bell I'd named Greg (because he made "greg, greg, greg" sounds as he ran) with a little figurine of ET dressed as a woman that acted as my muse for unknowable reasons. I suspect this was horribly disillusioning for my teacher.

Now Greg is in a likely permanent retirement and I've no idea where ET went, but I still write at a computer in a less than natural environment, unless you count the organic evolution of the mess in my bedroom. But I'd argue that the environment around you matters less than the one inside your head.

1 comment:

Sarah Renee said...

I agree. External environment is rarely important. :)