Friday, June 03, 2011

X-Men: First Class
Film Review

Trailer:



Overview:

I was excited for this movie but trying not to get my hopes up. I was pleased to discover it far exceeded my expectations. At first I was dubious of James MacAvoy as Professor X, but he did an excellent job. I also enjoyed the actor who played Magneto, and I was impressed with his French, but I was NOT impressed with his complete lack of a British accent! I could not see this guy transforming into Sir Ian McKellan just because of the accent. It doesn't make sense. Does he just develop a British accent in old age? Just too much of stretch. Otherwise, a great actor. I enjoyed the plot and felt the main characters and even some of the minor ones were well developed. The 60s atmosphere actually felt a little downplayed though. I thought some of the clothes and hairstyles, while reminiscent, were adapted to a modern aesthetic.

All in all a good face paced plot and exciting effects make this the best X-Men film since X-Men 2.

But don't bother staying after the credits. There's nothing after them.

8 / 10 Stars * * * * * * * *

No comments: