Thursday, October 08, 2009

Teach or Taught?



Sometimes I have the overwhelming desire to teach rather than be taught to. Despite the fact that I've never wanted to teach professionally, this issue has plagued me all my life. For instance, if I'm in a classroom or training environment, and I feel I know a lot about the subject being taught, it's very difficult for me not to answer questions my fellow students or trainees ask or--far worse--begin lecturing myself. I almost never actually do this because I find the desire embarrassing. Still, I've had many a professor cease to call on me in class because I participate too much. But it involves a lot of repression on my part not to share what I know. I'm also never sure if I'm doing the right thing when I do repress. Certainly, it's good to listen because we can always learn knew ideas. But in the zeal to curb my desire to express, I often don't share my knowledge even when it would be appropriate to do so. I'm always afraid of being seen as an insufferable know-it-all.

However, the one place where I feel free to share knowledge is while working in a library. It helps a lot that people are coming to me for it. So at least this otherwise inconvenient tick has helped me to choose a profession.

No comments: