Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Beautiful Nerds



Still shot from the excellent film,
Hogfather, with Ed Coleman as Ponder Stibbons

The second in my series of beautiful people is Ponder Stibbons from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, as played here by Ed Coleman. I've been thinking about him more recently as I've been reading Unseen Academicals where Ponder really gets to shine. But I've loved himever since I saw the Hogfather film. My problem here is that I actually like the amalgam of two people. I love the personality of Ponder Stibbons, but I never envisioned him as being someone I was attracted to when I first read the books. Probably because of the Paul Kidby version of him where he looks like a slightly overweight Harry Potter. Kinda cute but not exactly screaming sex appeal. I preferred the Kidby version of Rincewind, and confess I am attracted to that picture. Even though keeping a relationship with Rincewind would be rather difficult as he runs away so much.... But Ed Coleman as Ponder embodied the perfect adorable nerd. Now, when I read Unseen Academicals, I envision Ponder as played by Coleman and love each and every scene he's in (quite a few as he unofficially runs Unseen University in this book).

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd be as crazy about Coleman playing any other part. Sorry dude. It's the combined personality and looks that make this Ponder irresistible. Alas, he's completely unobtainable since he is fictional.

However, Coleman, if you're reading this, and it turns out you actually are like Stibbons, I have two words for you. Call me.



ZMOGM! Magical computer nerd! Brain-melt cute!
He even has his quills in a giant pocket protector!


Heh, heh, the song Almost Lover plays as I write this. So true...

No comments: