Monday, May 30, 2011

Cafe Rolle: Review



It occurs to me this may not be a particularly helpful review to any of my normal blog readers, as I don't think any of them live in this area. All the same, my friend had the idea to sample all the highest reviewed sandwich places in the area. We started at Cafe Rolle, a French deli. I had a chicken pâté and goat cheese sandwich and it was delicious. I love pâté but find most of it to be a little heavy if I eat too much. Cafe Rolle's chicken pâté, on the contrary, was a nice, light flavor. We also talked about the bread which was an excellent complement to the stronger sandwich flavor but I've begun to formulate a theory that the reason I have trouble finding the French bread I loved in France is there are probably French bread for sandwiches and French breads just for eating without anything (the latter being what I miss). This was very much a sandwich bread. I followed with an order of crème brûlée. I'm not sure I've ever had crème brûlée before, so I couldn't compare it to others, but I certainly enjoyed it, particularly the crispy top. I was surprised at how cool the rest of the custard was since, with the way the caramel was stuck, I could tell they had actually flambéed the top instead of just putting burnt caramel on top.

I also just learned that not all pâté is liver and had to apologize to my friend as I seem to have disturbed her by leading her to believe she was eating a liver sandwhich. But I watched the owner make the chicken pâté on his website and it was just ground chicken breast mixed with egg and goat cheese and various herbs.

No comments: