Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Wildcard Wednesday
Music Review



I don't generally feel strongly about music. I either like it or I don't, but something about internet artists inspires me to have an opinion. Perhaps it's because it's not a giant, focus-group run, corporation trying to crank out the next hit. It's actually just people doing what they like and hoping you'll like it too.

So that might be why I've been enjoying Charlie McDonnell's new album: This is Me, which you can listen to for free at: http://charliemcdonnell.com/music/

Charlie is known on YouTube as charlieissocoollike and I enjoyed his videos but never paid much attention to his music. But that's just because I didn't listen to it, until now. My favorite one is A Song About Love. I love how unpretentious it is, how unlike all the teenybopper stars out there, Charlie acknowledges that he's too young to talk about this with any expertise. The line about wanting to refine the person he wants to be before he worries about love is fantastic. I wish there was more of this type of thing in the general media. For similar reasons I loved Chemical Love as well.

The album's title song This is Me, is also great song both musically and lyrically. It follows the same youthfully wise vein of my other favorites. Same goes for Melody for Melody.

The song Bread has a great melody, and an animated music video, but I found the overall story so depressing that it can't be my favorite. But it's apparently John Green's favorite. I guess In the Absence of Christmas is also dark but I find that one funny and awesome.

No comments: