Sunday, August 12, 2007

Eurasians

Now, I'm usually kind of leery of frequent updates when I have a review I want people to read. But I really have been wanting to start updating every day, so I'm just going to advertise my Stardust Review again. Please scroll down a couple posts to read it if you haven't already. Sorry for the repetition, but I'm really appalled at how little promotion this movie has gotten from the media. I'm only one girl, but I'm going to try my hardest to support what I believe in. Neil Gaiman. Well...him and good fantasy.

Anyway, on with the show.

I wanted to do a review of my new favorite anime before this post, but that will have to wait until later. Mostly I'm too tired for gushing but not for complaining.

Here's the deal. I'm not Eurasian. I'm Amerasian. But I like the sound of Eurasian better, and they're pretty much the same genetically as me, so that's what really what matters. The point is that someone who is of half Asian and half European descent generally looks like this:



They do not look like this:



Or this:



Granted, they could if both their parents were also Eurasian, but I think having so many blond-haired, blue-eyed Eurasians popping up in fiction makes people ignorant of how genetics work. So here is a brief and simple lesson for everyone. Blond hair is a recessive gene. Blue eyes are also a recessive gene. That means, unless you're pretty darn mixed, you're not likely to get them if you're a Eurasian because BOTH parents have to have a recessive gene for it to take dominance. Now, my mother has recessive genes for both blond hair and blue eyes, though she does not have either herself. But my dad, Taiwanese through and through, most certainly does not have a gene for blond hair or blue eyes. That is why the vast majority of Eurasians should look like this:



Yay for gratuitous pictures of me! But seriously, I think I get annoyed seeing blond-haired, blue-eyed Eurasians because we look so darn good the way we are! (Once again, I'm referring to myself as Eurasian. I am where it counts anyway.) To portray us as looking completely unlike what we normally do is almost to imply that we're not hot the way we are. I disagree with this vehemently, so I just needed to get this post out there. GOOoooo mixed blood!

No comments: