Monday, August 02, 2010

14th Amendment

I found out that they want to change the 14th amendment so that it doesn't include the children of illegal immigrants. Apparently they wouldn't revoke the amendment, just fiddle with it. In a nutshell, this would mean that those born in America to the parents of illegal immigrants wouldn't be citizens. To be honest I'm not sure how I feel about it. I don't particularly like agreeing with the people supporting it. But I have to say I can't come up with any good arguments against it. I always did think it was a bit strange of a law, a bit like a child's game; I'm touching this dirt so that gives my child rights. At the same time, I have great sympathy for the people who flee here for a better life. I'd rather make all the migrant workers citizens, and through them any children born here, than revoke their children's rights (wasn't someone trying to pass a law like that a while ago?). I feel they do a valuable service to America, and no matter what anyone says, they're not taking any jobs that Americans actually want to do. Plus, another reason it's bad to make the children legal but not the parents is that it makes it illegal for the family to stay together. So I don't think it should be based on touching dirt, but if someone is working here and has been for years, I think it benefits everyone to make them legitimate members of society. I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts on this.

No comments: