Saturday, October 09, 2010

Links Saturday
The Reason I Love YouTube



Sadly these illegal video clip mash ups are one of my favorite things on YouTube second only to my favorite YouTube shows. I love that the moment I thought of a Captain Kirk mash-up to the song womanizer, I knew there'd already be plenty on YouTube. The same goes for any other fun mash up I can think of or happen to spot. I think there's enough parody in them that it should fit under the parody copyright clause and the companies should just chalk it up as free advertisement.

The thing is that it annoys me that they're illegal because people do take a lot of work to create them. They're not just reposting something; these things take serious video editing skills. True some of them aren't as good as others but even the worst ones would be more work than I'd be willing to do, and the best ones are an art-form in my opinion.

No comments: