Thursday, November 18, 2010

Info Thursday
The First King of France

Since last time I told you about the last King of France, this time I thought I'd tell you about the first King of France, Clovis. Clovis is supposed to be a precursor to the name Louis. Don't ask me how. Sometimes I think linguists are just crazy. Although, they do sound similar at the end. Maybe people just got tired of saying the C and sorta slurred the V. I guess they did drink a lot of alcohol in those days.

Anyway, Clovis, according to the legend, is the reason the Fleur de Lis is the symbol of the French monarchy. He was hiding in this body of water from his enemies and came across this water lily and used it to breathe. So the Fleur de Lis is famous for being a snorkel for the first French king.

Source:
My French History class

No comments: