Thursday, November 11, 2010

Info Thursday
The Last King of France

So due to John Green's terrific recap of the French Revolution (the first video of which is posted below) I was spurred to look up the last actual King of France. Because French history gets really murky, confusing, and bloody between 1792-1870. Basically Kings get killed, people revolt, they try to set up alternate governments, those fail, more people get killed, and then, before you know it, everyone's shouting--"Vive le Roi!"

So the last man to call himself King was Louis-Phillipe I, but the last monarch of France was Emperor Napoleon III. And, let's face it, an Emperor is just a King on steroids.

What I was shocked to discover is there are STILL people who are pretenders to the French throne. I mean, even if it was restored, seems like it wouldn't be the safest gig. Don't they know what happened to those other guys?



Sources:
John Green--as many times as he's been listed here it's probably safe to say I learn a lot from John Green. Although, I already knew a lot about the French Revolution, he rekindled my interest.

Wikipedia--but I'm reasonably confident it's true as they're simple facts and not conspiracy theories.

No comments: