Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Deer, Birds, Bees and Keys

Things I saw walking back from Gilpatrick the other night: a stag eating grass on the academic quad. The deer population seems to be rising as I've seen more than ever this year. The rowdy drunken senior population who hang out in the common area between the apartments behind my dorm also seem to be increasing. I would only recommend hunting one of these populations in order to control it. Hint: I like animals.

Random thought of the Day: What do birds and bees have to do with sex? I mean, I'm sure they copulate to continue their own populations but hopefully not with each other...

Question of the Day (ignoring the fact that the random thought was a question): I was pondering this with a fellow Denison student so I do not take all credit, though I have always wondered myself. During the summer the dorms are locked by key rather than key card. But the key is also your room key. Does that mean all room keys of a dorm are the same? This seems unlikely. So how do they make so many different keys open one door but still block other keys?

1 comment:

Tim said...

I've wondered the same thing myself, and I think I have a good answer.

Key work by sliding pins out of the way (though not too far) so the lock can turn. Then you just make the lock at the door have fewer pins. The spaces that have no pins can then be anything, allowing different keys.

Then each room lock has all the pins and is matched exactly to one key.