Thursday, June 11, 2009

Percy Jackson



I'm currently reading the first book in the Percy Jackson series. I tried to get the second one from one of the five different nearby library systems, but it was not checked in to ANY of them. Usually it wouldn't bother me to wait, but I have to hop on a plane yet again for the 11th time in the past 8 weeks, so I need something before Monday. I might just buy the second book, because I'm almost done reading the first, and I didn't feel that one was a waste of money (I also bought it to read on the plane I took here), so hopefully the second's just as good. I won't do a full review right now since I'm not quite finished, but I think the story's compelling. The style of writing is not as much to my tastes, but it's not bad. It's just clear to me the book is meant to appeal to a slightly younger audience, but it's not dumbed down. I simply think the situation and humor are probably more relatable if you're a younger kid, specifically a young boy. Still, I'm enjoying it, and I'm also looking forward to the movie they're planning to make based on it.

I also managed to check out a digital audiobook of the 3rd Percy Jackson book from the Sacramento Library without leaving my house, but it took me an hour to jump through all the DRM hoops of flame. I feel the service needs to be a bit more user-friendly.

No comments: