Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Weapons and Little Brothers



The trouble with chronicling my life, is even when I'm productive, that doesn't always make for that great reading material. I did manage to do some writing today. I'm nearing the end of the children's novel I'm currently writing. It's very exciting to me, but since I don't wish to share the story quite yet, I feel like it's not that exciting for others to hear about. I also did a little job searching today, but even I don't want to think about that...

You're probably thinking that, as a writer, I should be able to make anything interesting. It's possible that's true. But there's a reason I write fantasy. I have great admiration for writers like John Green who can consistently make the real world compelling. I think every good story is based on humanity's core values. But I just think those values are better represented with action, magic, dragons, fairies, and whatnot.

Anyway, because of that, I'll just be an annoying older sister and talk about my little brothers instead. Above is a picture of one of their many self-designed weapons. It's a sword (whittled from wood or bamboo) with a duct tape scabbard. It even has a little tassle as you can see. Today I also saw a bayonet they had crafted to put on one of their toy guns. Even though it is a little disturbing, I've yet to see them walking around with any type of injury from these weapons, so I have to admit I'm actually quite proud of them. The design skill put into them is really incredible. They've also got several crossbows and spears, all made from some combination of wood, duct tape, and yarn. I can't get out of them where they got the idea, though. They don't watch TV or movies. I suppose they could have stumbled across pictures on the internet, but their inititive in actually creating these things is impressive regardless.

No comments: