Saturday, September 05, 2009

Associations



I've been reading my book club book, which isn't turning out to be so bad, but I came across a pretty strange association for it. While searching the book cover online I noticed a Wikipedia article on the actual original children's story. I encourage anyone to look it up if they ever want to be appalled at how terrible some stories can be. It's up there with The Little Match Girl for everyone's favorite pointlessly depressing stories. It's like the original Series of Unfortunate Events before they invented humor. But the funny thing is that it was illustrated by Randolph Caldecott. The very man that the Caldecott Medal is named for.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Our grandmother told us this story to traumatize us when we were young, because her father told it to her to traumatize her when she was young. We were in the woods, too! It really is terrible. Since when are strawberry plants dead children??!

Cherie said...

Haha! I'm sorry, that's both horrible and hilarious. But I'm not sure what you mean about the strawberry plants. That must be another version. In the Caldecott version their bodies just get covered with leaves by robins.