Friday, September 04, 2009

Too many books...

Okay, there can ever really be too many books, but when I read for pleasure, I like to read one book at a time. Sometimes I read quickly and sometimes slowly. It depends on how I feel about the story and not the difficulty. I hate feeling like I have to rush through anything. But I seem to have bitten off more than I can chew and they're all a bit time sensitive. Currently, I'm trying to read:

Because I heard Hank Green review it ages ago and heard good things about it from a friend of mine. Patricia C. Wrede is also a fond and nostalgic memory from my childhood because of Dealing with Dragons. I've actually started this book and quite like it. You can't argue with the elegance of and Austen-esque style. At first the mentions of magic bugged me since they seem out of place, and I'm still not sure how I'll feel about it. A lot of the names: Elizabeth, Charlotte, Fitzwilliam, and Georgina (not exactly like Georgiana but remarkably close), are also stolen striaght from Pride and Prejudice which also threw me off a little at first. At first, I wasn't sure if they meant the same characters or not, though now I'm pretty certain they don't. But I'll withhold judgment on those things until I get a little farther. Anyway, given a choice, I'd probably just continue with this book but there are two others I really need to finish soon as well. Still, this one is also on hold for someone else, so it's due back the 18th.

I've been trying to read the fourth Percy Jackson for months and already got side-tracked by Nation and had to return this to the library (or have my kind sister do it since I was out of town) and check it out all over again. I was listening to the audio but one of the character's voices really annoyed me and she's already an annoying character so I decided to switch to text. I still have a sneaking suspicion it won't be my favorite Percy Jackson book, but I still want to find out what happens. It's due back to the library on the 24th and I also can't renew it.

This book is for the book club I signed up for. I like mystery, but I haven't read any straight mystery for a long time, and this isn't the kind of thing I'd usually choose on my own. Of course, I haven't really started it yet. I'll try to just think of it like a CSI episode. I hope to one day write some mystery stories, so it'll be good to study the genre. But you'll notice this is the only adult book on the list. I read a lot of adult fantasy and sci-fi, sure, but I often have trouble with adult books in other genres. I always feel like they take themselves too seriously. All the same, I have to finish this the soonest since the book club's on the 16th.

No comments: