Saturday, September 18, 2010

Book Friday (On Saturday)
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest



Sorry for the late post. I should note that the old punishment rules still stand but I won't get punished because I noticed I didn't post, and made a post, before anyone else could call me on it. Now onto the review.

Summary

This book picks up immediately after the thrilling conclusion of The Girl Who Played With Fire. In this book The secrets of Lisbeth's turbulent life finally come to a head, revealing a conspiracy far deeper than anyone could have imagined.

Overview (No Spoilers)

It's difficult to talk much about this book without giving spoilers because, at the end of the second, I felt like all bets were off, and no character was safe. Since the book is all about the characters, there's not a lot I can say without hinting at the ending of the second book. However, while I can say that the second book remains my favorite, this one was also great and I am glad it is the third book. The pacing isn't as quick as its predecessor. There was a rather lot of exposition. But the characters are as stunningly rich as ever and I had to keep reading to see how their lives unfolded in this fantastic drama.

Book Club (Spoilers)

Because I know how frustrating it can be to see a spoiler to a book this good on accident, I'll put this text in white and you can highlight it to read:

So most importantly, I'm SO glad that the ending was resolved and not a cliff hanger like the second. I was so worried when, at the end, Lisbeth had to confront her half-brother and there were only 20 minutes left on the audio. I didn't want her to die, or worse, end on another cliff-hanger. But as Lisbeth always does, she surprised me by persevering against impossible odds. However, this all also took place long after I felt the book had a natural end, which was after the trial. And I was a little thrown by Lisbeth wandering around Gibraltar being and alcoholic and sleeping with random dudes. But considering Larsson will never be able to write another, I was more than happy to put up with a few false endings. At the same time, I found myself wondering how they might have edited the books if Larsson had lived.

I loved the involvement of the Hacker Republic and only wish there had been more of them. Perhaps he meant that for a later book. I thought the Berger subplot was unnecessary but I was happy to go with it because this was the last book and it was still fun to read, even if it was irrelevant to the story at large. Then Blomvkist was up to his old tricks, or should I say, old luck of just having women throw themselves at him. But I can't say I blame them. There is something undeniably sexy about his constant drive and purpose, combined with his dogged loyalty to ethics. At the same time there's a certain charming bumbling nature to him when it comes to romance. He doesn't stalk women like prey; they stalk him, and he's generally just stunned and grateful to be hunted. It's an uncomplicated guilelessness combined with the otherwise focused and brilliant mind that's so attractive and makes you forgive him his frequent transgressions. I knew he'd probably hook-up with
Figuerola, so there was the predictably by this time, but I still loved his character after. Lisbeth's amusing frustration that often resembles hatred towards Kalle F%*)*& Blomvkist is understandable simply because he is so hard to hate and for Lisbeth, that by itself would be frustrating because she cannot simply dismiss him.

No comments: