Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Mice Are Nice

I did a mouse themed storytime today. I told Frederick by Leo Lionni and If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff. Both are great, and the kids seemed to like all of the stories relatively equally, but I enjoyed the other two stories I told the most. I've never told Mouse Count before but had seen another storyteller use Mouse Paint by the same author. I think I like Mouse Count the best because it manages to be, simple, cute, and clever all at once. I like stories that have a little bit of conflict so the snake is great. Probably the best counting book I've ever read. I love the snake's refrain describing the mice "little, warm, and tasty." And the pile of mice in the jar is irresistably cute.

This second story I have done before. It's in an anthology of mice stories, but my favorite is about a hive of bees landing on a mouse's head and how he climbs into a muddy swamp to get them off. I miss the awesome beehive hat that I borrowed from a storyteller where I used to work. But it's still fun to do the bee voices.

No comments: