Friday, January 29, 2010

TMJ? Nerves? Infection? Hypochondria?



This is me mostly rambling. Feel free to offer advice if you want, but don't feel like I'm actually using you all as doctors (or dentists). Don't worry, I will and can see one if I decide I need to.

Right, so in the middle of lunch today it started really hurting to chew in the far back right side of my mouth. Okay, at first I thought right away it had to be my wisdom teeth. I have an appointment to have them removed, but I haven't had that yet and it won't be for another month.

Weird thing is, my actual teeth don't hurt. The pain feels a bit like having pulled a muscle and is very hard to pinpoint but hurts the most only on the right side when I move my jaw. The pain radiates to part of my ear and a very specific localized place on the upper right side of my throat.

Okay, probably more info than you needed but it helps me to logic these things out.

Now, since my teeth don't actually hurt, I thought maybe one of my errant wisdom teeth began pushing on a nerve. But then I also remember another condition I would continually see on dental forms called TJM. I looked it up and I won't hash out all the specipics here, but basically it boils down to pain in the joint of the jaw. It has very similar symptoms to my current problem except it says most people have a popping or grinding along with it. The side of my jaw that doesn't hurt has this (and always has) but curiously, the side that does is completely pop free--more than it's ever been.

So I began to wonder if maybe I had an infection in my throat or ear. But I tried one of the TJM treatments (appling heat to the area) and it helped immensely. I do not believe this would help relieve the pain of an infection. But I don't know for absolute certain.

Anyway, sorry to bore you with my raving hypochondria. Hope you're all well.

No comments: