Monday, January 11, 2010

Wise Man Quotes


I know Zen rock gardens are Japanese and the philosophies I discuss are Chinese,
but I believe a rock garden could put one in a philosophical state of mind.


I thought I'd post now since I have a meeting for my volunteer job and an interview tomorrow. I've also been scouring the listings for literary agents who will represent new fantasy authors. I've found several but now I'm and stressing out over how to write my query letter.

Also I've decided to start a new blog segment featuring quotes from my former Chinese professor who was both hilarious and profoundly wise all at the same time. This one isn't one of the more hilarious ones, but it is very good advice. He was talking about test-taking but it can really be appplied to anything that takes work to accomplish:

"Before you take the test, be a Confuscist, but after you take it, be a Daoist."

Basically, for anyone unfamiliar with these philosophies, Confucius advocated hard work while Daoism is a go-with-the-flow accept and be happy with things as they are type of belief. So basically, it boils down to, working hard but not stressing once you've already completed the work.

1 comment:

Deja said...

That's generally how I am about most decisions. Panicked until I'm doing it and then blase faire once it's over.